Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Random Update

I've stealthily infiltrated the french life and culture by dating a local. That's right. "SkKKKOCCHHH T.Paine to Uncle Sam - we have breached the premises" And it is just as we suspected. Lots of kisses on both cheeks hello, few preservatives in food, and atheism abounds! My french is still lacking but I have good days and bad ones, and overall am only improving by immersing myself in love texts in an alien language and likewise the local drinking games.

On the other hand I haven't received packages that were sent to me 3 weeks ago. The french bureaucracy is notorious for it's lack of efficiency and after 2 weeks of snow halting all traffic in France, I fear there's a large backup somewhere.

Work goes as well as ever, only now occasionally I see students in my classes that I saw at the latest party last weekend. Awkward. And as ever, an experience to make the best of and blog about later.

I've also begun training for the Paris Half Marathon. I was talking about it quite a bit to random people for a while but now that the prospect of running 13.1 miles again has become painfully imminent to my knees, I'm keeping my mouth shut. Not that I expect to bail before race day, but... maybe I won't broadcast to the world (on fb, not blogspot) until I'm sure I won't be carted off to First Aid. Baaahhhh.