Saturday, October 30, 2010

L'interFETE

At long last, after exactly 30 days since I left the States and my constant web connection, it's happened. Internet. Cue the angels singing and bright lights because it was a freaking miracle navigating French technology and their system. (Let the culture clash continue!) At home in the good ole U.S. of A. if one were to sign up for internet, you'd get hooked up within 3 business days max, and even then I feel like that's a long time. Here I was told it would take at least 15 days, which we later understood to mean business days, and when that day came and went and we went to investigate in town, we discovered someone canceled our internet order the day after we initiated it. To remedy matters and assuage the clearly inflicted wounds, the service provider employee told us it would take ANOTHER 15 days and we would be hooked up by November 9th. WHAT!?! Drinking ensued and we thoroughly abused the French and their "system" for the next 3 days until magically we received a text proclaiming our internet activation 2 weeks ahead of schedule. WHAT???? Whatever. Thank God, thank the French, thank you Orange Internet for doing something right. Although I have enjoyed hanging out with the other assistants at all hours and there's nothing like an unjust cause such as internetlessness to band a group together, it was starting to wear on me. My friends and family are mostly 9 hours away from me and it's been difficult to communicate via wifi at MaCorner with French rap blaring in the background and random mecs (dudes) shouting GOOT MORRNINK at you at 9 o'clock at night because they sense Americans/anglophones. I am utterly relieved to never have to go there again.

Unless I want a burger.